Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Happy Meals Are Not Part of the Food Pyramid

I’ll spare you the usual... blah blah blah we are fat, we eat too much. WE KNOW. But that “we,” applies to those of us independent enough to decide what we eat, and have enough collective knowledge to know that french fries are not a food group. But sometimes junk food is just inescapable, and to some, especially kids, eating healthy can be difficult.

Let me make something clear—I am not an advocate of kids being forced veggies and I cannot stand when a mom doesn’t let her kids ever touch candy or ice cream. All the fun of being a kid is frolicking and eating cookies after school and NOT worrying about your health!

The only problem is, for most of us, our mom’s taught us how to eat healthy. For me at least, McDonalds was the occasional treat, and for the most part there was never a large amount of junk food in my house, and I had no idea. Today however, with busy lives, fast food is usually the most convenient option, and yes, it is a parents job to promote healthy nutrition, but the battle is uphill when you realize that most television ads and now even toy manufactures are pushing brands of junk food.

I can only explain my problem with all of this briefly, to better explain the total infiltration take a minute and check out this article. I am all for personal responsibility but the article does make a good case for corporate responsibility.

No comments: