Thursday, November 02, 2006

Reality TV shows

So I finally finished my season-long sentence of Flavor of Love (FOL) this past Sunday and although I had grown to love the show, it was always my love of shamelessly mocking the contestants— than a love for the inspirational content. However as I plop on the couch with my roommates, I note that as adults we can sit back, with our late night snack, and diet cokes and be able to consciously note that the purpose of this show is to be ridiculous. Then I cannot help but think of the people watching who maybe don’t understand that point. I mean, if you step back and look at the show, it is about a washed up rapper from the 80’s trying to find a wife, or at least someone to sleep with. I mean he did kick off a girl because she was saving herself for marriage, now, what kind of message does that send?

Flava Flav is a wonderful character and I know that no one is trying to make a role model out of him. But the fact-of-the-matter is that if you put someone on several TV shows he will be seen as an icon. I mean, I can’t tell you how many Flav’s I saw this Halloween weekend. So where is the responsibility in that kind of program? First of all, I find it funny that MTV champions itself in being an equal and socially responsible corporate member of society but where is the responsibility in FOL? The show demeans women and, in my opinion damages young children’s self-concept and social attitudes (if they are unfortunate enough to view the show). And let’s not forget about another favorite MTV show, The Real World, where people become nothing more than tokens or simplistic representations of the larger groups from which they come. That’s right kids… be the average stereotypical adult, here is a guideline of how people are, thank you for watching, oh and btw buy Pepsi and some McDonalds later, thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now. I have to say that you are one of the most intelligent and insightful bloggers I have ever read. You truly must be a rocket scientist!