Thursday, November 02, 2006

This Sh*t is B-a-n-a-n-a-s

I have to say that I feel like I am covering issues which have become so hackneyed they are thought of as trivial and unimportant because, since the cause has been addressed, that part of society got to speak out, has been heard and yeah, yeah... we get it. But really I don’t think anyone gets it. I am not trying to say that the world should rid itself of all things sexual and crude, I mean hell, where would all the fun be? I just think… personally… that it is age appropriate. I mean you wouldn’t let an eight year old watch the movie American Pie or Scary Movie, so why would you let them listen to Nelly Furtado talking about being promiscuous? But they do.

I don’t get it, yeah they can hear it on the radio, whatever they’ll probably forget it in a half an hour, but when you, as a parent, sit in the car and listen to KissFM soon your eleven year-old will know the words to the whisper song and that is just wrong. I don’t even feel comfortable listening to that song. But I think that as kids get older they should explore music that they like, even if there are some bad lyrics, as long as they understand that just because a song says it doesn’t mean that’s what they do—just like your parents always tell you “don’t believe everything you see on TV.” But that is the big problem, because I think most of the little kids that listen to that music don’t necessarily understand the lyrics and how they are relevant to their life, they just care if it is cool.

No comments: